Janet is a lawyer, a teacher and business owner. She loves her community and the people that make her community a home for her and her family.
She knows how difficult it can be to run a business - the stress, the anxiety and how many mistakes can be made. While we learn from those mistakes, Janet's legal and practical experience can help your business operate efficiently and avoid risk. She also knows what a pleasure it is to be your own boss, and the flexibility, pride and ambition that is required to succeed.
For employers, the firm offers a suite of human resources consulting services at a competitive price and is a valuable resources when faced with workforce unrest. One of the firm's more unique offerings is a "behind the scenes" HR department service - if your business cannot afford a dedicated human resources professional, it likely can afford our services to build your HR practices and policies, advise on implementation and teach those who will be the face of HR for your workforce.
Janet's heart lies in the non profit sector. Communities succeed on the strength of the contributions of their people. Non profits will appreciate the firm's non profit price point as much as they will come to rely upon Janet's guidance in governance matters - including bylaw revision, committee work, policy development, corporate compliance, and efficient Board of Directors management.
Janet also understands people - she has a family and before law was a high school teacher. She has lived, worked and traveled around the world. She has navigated many of life's joys and tragedies and brings that experience and empathy to the personal legal services that we offer to clients.
Janet has practiced law in a national law firm, a boutique law firm and as legal counsel to a public company with operations from coast to coast. Now, working with her strategic colleagues, she brings depth and breadth of legal, business and personal experience to her clients. Those clients are diverse, from many industries that shape our economy, including oil & gas, drilling and well-servicing, manufacturers, retailers, hospitality, food & beverage, communications, and non profit and charitable organizations.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Ontario (2007)
- Masters of Science (Education), State University of New York (2004)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Chemistry & Biology), Queen’s University (2001)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours Biochemistry), University of Waterloo (2001)
Memberships & Other Credentials
- Law Society of Alberta, Active Member
- Human Resources Institute Alberta, Member
- Ontario College of Teachers, Member
- Alberta Education, AIT Letter of Authority
- Guest Lecturer, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law, Employment Law Course
- Contributing Author, Employment Law (Western), LexisNexis Practice Advisor
- Contributing Author, Procedural Strategies for Litigators in Alberta (2012 edition)
- Janet routinely speaks at industry, client and educational seminars and workshops on topical employment law and human resources issues.